An Oprah threat to your health and the health of your children? Have you been misled?

Find out at www.Oprahcide.com or www.DeathByOprah.com

See FTC complaints about Oprah and her diet experts at www.JailForOprah.com

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Weight Grade on Report Cards Angers Parents

Attack of the killer parents alert!

More uncaring, abusive and insecure parents projecting the embarrassment of their parenting failure on the school system.
"'It just doesn't have any place in the school,' said Barbour. 'It's fine if you want to teach them how to eat healthy, and make better choices during health class, but I don't think giving them BMI on their report card' is the answer."
What you think is unimportant. What is best for the child and society is.

Time to fire the phys ed teacher:

"Jim Coca, the physical education teacher at Wagon Wheel Elementary, said the health of his students is being measured by a the wrong yardstick.

'I disagree with body mass index,' said Coca. 'We're using it as a body fat index and that's not what it is. I've seen inconsistencies when I'm doing it with my kids. It's quick and easy, but I think it's inaccurate.'

Coca said the research he has done on BMI has shown some inconsistencies. 'A student with a high body mass index could be obese, but he could also be muscular. Over the research I've done, I've also found out that … a student in the normal range, could have a high percent of body fat and not be carrying muscle, and still be considered normal. So, I see inconsistencies in both directions.'"

Coca apparently offered no better "yardstick."

The BMI is not perfect. But it is pretty darn good. Coca is not perfect. Coca is likely "inconsistent" in his performance.

Per his logic, fire the idiot.

As to the abusive parent, the real anger is over her failure. Arguing against an offer of help to those who need it by suggesting it should be offered to those who do not is ludicrous.
"'I think my anger is over pinpointing. I think if it would have been offered to everybody, schoolwide, and first come, first serve, the kids that wanted to participate, I wouldn't have had a problem with that. But by pinpointing the kids, and the issues we've been through in the past, I just didn't want to go back there.'"

No comments: